Boozy, creamy caramelized onions (with butter, honey and red wine) and blue cheese pasta that is so good and so easy to make for a quick lunch or dinner recipe.
I am totally speed dating and switching lovers like a crazy person when it comes to food. Remember how I got obsessed with sesame seeds and made these sesame rice noodles, sesame toasts and basically just sprinkled toasted sesame seeds on everything including these pan fried noodles?
Before that there was a wave of puff pastry recipes and now I am totally insanely obsessed with caramlized onions. It started with this caramelized onion dip, then this “lightened up” version = french onion yogurt dip with caramelized (or caramelised) onions and now this oh-so-yummy caramelized onion and blue cheese pasta.
I am telling you, this is how it begins. Soon you will be seeing me experimenting with all sorts of flatbreads and kebab/ salad recipes too that will involve caramelized onions. I am already thinking of a pizza 😀
This french onion style caramelized onion and blue cheese pasta is so good and so comforting and absolutely the best way to make pasta when you want to move on from basil pesto or regular tomato based pasta recipes. Your whatever favourite kind of pasta tossed in a rich, creamy blue cheese sauce and loaded with homemade caramelized onions cooked in butter, honey and red wine, making it so boozy and yummy.
How to make caramelized onions?
I simply caramelized the onions in butter, honey and red wine. The key is to continuously stir the onions while they are cooking. The extensive cooking will result in naturally sweet, brown and nutty caramelization of onions. That is exactly what you are aiming for.
Things you need?
- sliced red onions
- salted butter
- salt & pepper
- red wine
- a free hand for non stop stirring for 8 minutes
- in a pan, add butter and let melt over medium heat
- add onions, honey, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes stirring continuously
- add 1/4 cup of red wine and continue stirring for 2 minutes
- add remaining 1/4 cup of red wine and stir for 2 more minutes & your caramelized onions are ready
How to make caramelized onion pasta?
- add whipping cream & blue cheese to the caramelized onions
- add the boiled pasta of your choice (I used machheronni but you can use penne or macaroni or farfalle or fusilli. whatever you like)
- mix and serve (add parsley too, if you like)
Variations/ Additions/ What to serve this with?
- can you use regular cream instead of whipping cream? yes.
- is this recipe vegan? this recipe is vegetarian but not vegan.
- additional vegetables? what else can I add with onions? grilled veggies or baked chicken cubes.
- dont want to use wine? add water instead – this will differ the cooking time. click here to see how to make caramelized onions without wine.
- what to serve this with? homemade garlic breadsticks, or this arugula chickpeas salad (click here for the entire salad section on my blog)
More pasta recipes from the blog that you will love:
- cherry tomato and garlic pasta
- creamy spinach and mushroom pasta
- balsamic mushroom pasta
- pesto pasta salad
- lemon feta spaghetti (aglio o lio with a twist!)
- date night creamy tomato basil pasta
Boozy, creamy caramelized onion (with butter, honey and red wine) and blue cheese pasta that is so good and so easy to make for a quick lunch or dinner recipe.
- 1 cup or 160 grams red onion (sliced )
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 150 grams pasta
- 100 grams blue cheese
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or regular/ heavy cream
- Boil the pasta as per package instructions.
- While the pasta is boiling, prepare the caramlized onions. In a pan, add salted butter. Let this melt on medium heat. Add sliced red onions, honey, salt and pepper. Stir continuously for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of red wine and cook for 2 more minutes stirring continuously. Add remaining 1/4 cup of red wine and cook for one more minute.
- Add whipping cream, crumbled blue cheese and boiled pasta. Mix well until everything is well combined. Cook for a minute or two and serve.