The ultimate veggie bowl that is so healthy and yummy - baked tofu tossed in a delicious peanut sauce, served with rice and grilled broccoli. So yummy.
This delicious bowl, right here, with oven baked crispy tofu coated with a really yummy and easy peanut sauce (made with peanut butter, soy sauce, chilli sauce and garlic) plus some grilled broccoli - this is my favourite thing to eat for dinner lately.
This vegetarian (and naturally vegan) tofu rice bowl is perfect for me for those evenings when I come home super HANGRY and need a quick dinner recipe.
What elevates the flavour of this spicy peanut butter sauce is a tablespoon addition of sesame oil. I love how sesame oil completely takes the sauce to another level. If you love sesame like I do, then you should totally check out this recipe for easy sesame rice noodles.
How to cook tofu for this recipe?
- my favourite method to cook tofu is to bake it in the oven with some olive oil, corn flour and salt and pepper for about 20-25 minutes until it is crispy
- alternatively, you can fry the tofu - deep frying tofu works as good as shallow frying on pan
- another option would be to air fry - I do this very often when I am short on time, but honestly, this is my least favourite method as it completely dries out the tofu (though you get a very crispy tofu bite as a result)
How to make peanut sauce tofu and broccoli rice bowls?
- release extra liquid from tofu (or use extra firm tofu for this recipe) and cut into cubes
- in a bowl, add tofu, olive oil, corn flour, salt & pepper
- in a separate bowl, add broccoli, olive oil, salt and pepper
- transfer to a baking sheet & bake (roast the broccoli and bake the tofu)
- while the tofu and broccoli are cooking, prepare the peanut sauce: mix sesame oil, garlic, peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, corn flour and water. use a blender for this.
- cook the sauce for about 2-3 minutes until it thickens
- add cooked tofu and broccoli and serve with rice
Possible variations/ additions?
- sprinkle toasted crushed peanuts before serving
- add red, green or yellow capsicum as veggies together with broccoli when you roast it
- serve with rice noodles or ramen instead of plain rice
Similar vegetarian main recipes from the blog that you might like:
- corn, chickpeas and kale coconut curry
- thai red curry and rice
- pan fried noodles with chilli garlic vegetables
- spinach and chickpea curry
- soupy thai red curry rice noodles
- vegetarian pad thai noodles
The ultimate veggie bowl that is so healthy and yummy - baked tofu tossed in a delicious peanut sauce, served with rice and grilled broccoli.
- 200 grams extra firm tofu
- 175 grams broccoli (cut in small florets)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce (or any other hot sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree celsius.
- In a bowl, add cubed tofu, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp cornflour. Mix gently and transfer to one half of the baking tray.
- In another bowl, add broccoli, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix and transfer to the other half of the baking tray. Transfer the tray to the oven and let tofu and broccoli bake for 25-30 minutes.
- In this time, prepare the sauce. To a blender, add garlic, soy sauce, peanut butter, sriracha, sesame oil, soy sauce, remaining olive oil, corn starch and water. Blend.
- Add this to a pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the baked tofu and broccoli to this. Mix well and serve over rice.