Classic aglio e olio upgraded to a lemony version, topped with feta, basil and cherry tomatoes - this lemon and feta spaghetti is so simple and yet full of flavours.
(Update 5 Feb 2021) -> Incase you landed here because of the viral tiktok trend for the Feta Pasta (baked version) that led to grocery stores running out of feta cheese (!!), this pasta recipe is not baked, yet an incredibly easy salad version using the same ingredients: feta, pasta, cherry tomatoes, basil, olive oil - rather easier with no cooking time in the oven or stove top! Enjoy.
Almost 2 years ago, when this blog was a very little baby, I published this recipe for simple Spaghetti aglio e olio and it is still one of my most favourite pasta dishes to make. Fast forward 2 years, when this blog is still a little baby, but now that I am more into experimenting with recipes (see here: almost bizarre but super delicious cheddar and garlic savoury muffins) I was really open to add some lemony flavour and salty feta to disturb this Italian classic and create something delicious for you guys.
This recipe for lemon and feta spaghetti is a take on the classic aglio e olio and is basically just aglio o onlio + lemon juice + feta + some cherry tomatoes. The salty feta goes so well with the sweet tomatoes and the garlic and chilli spaghetti that has been tossed in some lemon juice.
Our choice of feta in this recipe was from Dairy Craft - in our recent partnership project with the brand, we were asked to create some interesting recipes using different kind of cheese they offer and feta was one of them. I had wanted to do a lemon based pasta for such a long time and this was the perfect opportunity for me to experiment and create this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON AND FETA SPAGHETTI?
To make lemon and feta spaghetti, you obviously need spaghetti.... start with boiling the spaghetti pasta as per package instructions & preserving about 1/4 cup of starchy pasta water to be added later to the pasta 'sauce' <-- very important
In a pan, add some olive oil, garlic and chilli flakes.
Add the starchy pasta water
Add spaghetti, salt and pepper
And finally add some lemon juice, feta cheese and cherry tomatoes
When the feta just begins to melt, that is when you turn off the heat and stop the cooking process. Add some more feta (never enough!) and cherry tomatoes. Garnish with fresh basil & serve.
Some more pasta recipes from the blog that you will love:
- simple tomato and garlic pasta
- creamy mushroom pasta
- pesto pasta salad
- classic aglio o olio
- sun dried tomato and feta pasta salad
- creamy balsamic mushroom pasta
Quick and easy spaghetti pasta tossed in garlic, chilli, feta and lemon juice topped with cherry tomatoes and more feta cheese.
- 250 grams Spaghetti
- 1 1/2 tbsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Chilli Flakes
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Feta Cheese (chopped)
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Boil the pasta as per package instructions. Before draining out, preserve about 1/4 cup of pasta water. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat olive oil and add chopped garlic and chilli flakes. Sauté for about a minute on medium heat and add the pasta water to it. Mix well.
- Add the boiled pasta, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup chopped feta and 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes. Mix well only until the cheese just begins to melt. Pour the lemon juice and mix again.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the pasta to a serving bowl.
- Add the remaining feta and cherry tomatoes just before serving. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
This post is sponsored by dairy craft. All views expressed are our own. Thank you for supporting brands that are making this site possible.