Herby roasted potatoes that are the right amount of soft & crispy, crunchy yet buttery texture making them so perfect to enjoy as a side with your mains or simply as breakfast potatoes.
For me, simple pleasures of life (in food and drinks department) include a warm cup of freshly brewed coffee, or a bowl of pumpkin soup or a curry aka a hug in a bowl aka rajma rice. Simple pleasures of life also include comforting breakfast recipes that require very little effort and still give you really delicious results. This recipe for breakfast rosemary potatoes delivers exactly what I am talking about and really is one of the most no-fuss savory breakfast or side recipes of all time.
They are an excellent alternative to fried potatoes – much healthier when baked instead of deep frying. You can also air fry these herb potatoes (instructions included in recipe card)
Very much adapted from this recipe for parmesan potato wedges, these oven roasted baked herb potatoes are vegetarian (and vegan!) simple, delicious and literally the easiest thing to make as a side, specially for savory vegan breakfasts recipes. Loaded with simple dried herbs like oregano and rosemary, tossed in the right amount of extra virgin olive oil and some basic seasoning (salt & pepper) this is the kind of recipe, where you toss everything up in a bowl and transfer it to the oven and literally forget about it for 45 mins. Looking for an even better reason to make these? They are made with just five ingredients and you need just ONE BOWL to mix everything up.
What you get after 45 mins is a sheet pan full of yummy crispy herbed potatoes that have the right amount of crispiness on the edges and are super soft from inside.
How to make herb roasted potatoes
- You start by adding cubed potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Then add oil, dried oregano, dried rosemary, salt, pepper and give this a good mix.
- Now transfer all the potatoes to a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Make sure that the potatoes are spread evenly and not crowded on the sheet pan (baking sheet).
- Transfer them to the oven and bake for 45 mins at 200 degree celsius or until they are crispy golden brown and sizzling with oil.
- Sprinkle some chopped parsley or spring onions and serve hot.
Tips to make the best oven roasted potatoes
- SKIN ON – The number one trick that always gives me the crispiest potato bites, or wedges or baked french fries, is to NOT peel the potatoes and cook them with skin on. Make sure you clean your potatoes very well with a potato scrubber before you cook them. The cooked potato skin gives you the perfect crispy texture that you need.
- DONT CROWD THEM – When you spread the potatoes on the sheet, make sure they are well spread. If needed, spread them on two separate trays – this will ensure that the potatoes are cooking instead of steaming in the oven.
What to serve with roasted herb potatoes?
- these roasted potatoes are perfect to serve as sides with any main meal or with some vegan tofu scramble for breakfast
- or with this lip smacking whipped feta and scallion dip
- caramelised onion dip
- lightened-up caramelised onion yogurt dip
- on a bed of fresh greens or arugula salad with some homemade basil vinaigrette (vegan!)
- delicious homemade nacho cheese sauce
- refreshing lemon garlic yogurt dip
More recipes with Potato as hero ingredient
- baked garlic french fries
- parmesan potato wedges
- loaded potato skins
- mashed potato fritters (Indian street food) Aaloo Tikki
- crispy honey potatoes (chinese/ Asian flavors)
- baked aaloo chaat (Indian street food)
- vegan sesame toasts
- vegan veggie nuggets
Here is the video for how to make herb roasted potatoes in the oven
Herby roasted potatoes that are the right amount of soft & crispy, crispy yet buttery texture making them so perfect to enjoy as a side with your mains or simply as breakfast potatoes.
- 3 large potatoes
- 2–3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
See notes for air-fry method.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree celsius.
- Wash the potatoes and scrub the potatoes well until all dirt from the skin is off. Pat dry and make sure all moisture is dried off.
- Dice/ cut the potatoes into cubs (roughly 2 inches per cube) and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add oil, salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary and mix well until all cubes are well coated.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment making sure that potatoes are well spread and not over crowded.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 45-50 mins at 200 degrees. Turn/ Flip them once in between to ensure that are they are cooked evenly.
- Serve hot with ketchup/ mayo or homemade dips.
Air fry method – To cook herb potatoes in an air fryer. Simply transfer the potatoes mixed with oil and herbs to an air fryer and cook at 200 degrees for 25 minutes. Much quicker than baked (oven roasted) but a little dried up than crispy potatoes hot out of the oven. Still very good!
Keywords: oven, baked, roasted, potatoes