Insanely crunchy, delicious, slightly sweet and spicy crispy honey chilli potatoes for those undeniable indo-chinese cravings. Learn how to make the crispiest potatoes without double fry method and the most delicious sweet chilli sesame sauce for the best ever crispy honey chilli potatoes.
No matter how much I would love a fancy dim sum brunch on a lazy Sunday, every few days I do stat craving for REAL Indo Chinese. Tell me that you agree with me that chowmein > noodles (if you know, you know!) Loaded with black pepper and lots of soy sauce, indo chinese will be always be something I choose over real Chinese food.
Favourite things to eat from indo chinese included manchurian, chilli chicken, chilli paneer, spring rolls but crispy honey chilli potatoes topped my list, which my family also enjoyed as an amazing easy appetiser or bar snack recipe.
They were EVERYWHERE! From my tuition centre to my school canteen to mom's kitchen - crispy honey chilli potatoes were ruling in my younger days. They are loved, of course & we do make these insanely crunchy, sweet and spicy crispy honey chilli potatoes loaded with sesame seeds every once in a while.
The secret to these restaurant style desi honey chilli potatoes not only lies in the best ever potato coating (that makes them so crispy and crunchy), but also the sweet chilli sauce that is loaded with sesame seeds resulting in a burst of flavour with every bite of these sweet and spicy fried potato chips.
How to make Crispy Honey Chilli Potatoes?
- Saute some garlic with oil in a pan
- Prepare the sweet chilli sauce
- Fry the potatoes coated in rice flour & corn flour
The crunch that we aim for in this crispy honey chilli potatoes recipe comes with this secret batter. Soak the cut potatoes in cold water for an hour. Then add rice flour and corn flour (plus salt & pepper) and mix well.
Deep fry and add to the chilli garlic (sweet and spicy) sesame sauce.
And they ready: easy delicious homemade (crispy and crunchy) saucy honey chilli potatoes loaded with a yummy chilli garlic sauce and lots of sesame seeds. Scroll down for the recipe card & click here for the video tutorial on our Instagram.
Some more appetiser recipes from the blog that you might like:
- Sesame toasts
- Beetroot kebabs
- Golden fried baby corn in chilli garlic sauce with toasted sesame seeds
- Crispy fried corn
- Chilli cheese corn toast
- Chicken puffs
- Crispy orange chicken
- Mushroom puffs
Insanely crunchy, delicious, slightly sweet and spicy crispy honey chilli potatoes for those undeniable indo-chinese cravings.
FOR CRISPY POTATOES
- 350 grams Potatoes
- 2 cups Cold Water
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Corn Flour or Corn Flour
- Oil (for deep frying)
FOR SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce (1 tbsp if using dark)
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Chilli Sauce (like Sriracha)
- 1 tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour (Corn Starch)
- 5 tbsp Water
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
- 4 tbsp Spring Onions (chopped)
- Cut the potatoes into finger chip size and transfer them to a bowl. Add cold water, cover it and let it sit in refrigerator for one hour.
- Heat some oil in a pan on medium low heat and add chopped garlic to it.
- Once the garlic is light brown and fragrant. Add the soy sauce, chilli sauce, honey, ketchup and mix well.
- In a bowl, mix water and corn flour and add this to the sauce. Keep stirring on medium low heat for not more than one minute and now turn off the flame. Add the sesame seeds and mix well. Keep aside.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and add corn flour, rice flour, salt and pepper. Mix well until every potato chip is well coated with the flour mixture. Add one or two tablespoons of water if needed.
- Deep fry the potatoes until they are crispy golden brown.
- Add them to the pan in which the sauce was prepared and mix until every chip is well coated. Cook for not more than 1 minute on medium heat. Sprinkle some spring onions and serve hot.