Tofu, corn and peppers cooked with garlic, chipotle in adobo sauce, served over crispy toast topped with whipped avocado - perfect vegan breakfast!
Bite sized tofu or scramble meets so many yummy flavors including chipotle peppers in adobo sauce giving you a spicy (adjustable), delicious and filling vegan tofu breakfast recipe that I believe checks off so many things on my list. This mexican inspired tofu scramble recipe is quick, easy, filling and ready in just 10 minutes.
The first time I added chipotle pepper to tofu was when a few months ago, I tried this sofritas recipe by Pinch of Yum. Until then, I did not even know, what sofritas are. I was blown away with the combination of salsa, chipotle, tofu and Mexican beans & loved it with some generous serving of avocados. Fast forward to a busy morning last week, I had a block of tofu in my refrigerator that had to be used, plus a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and since I am a savory breakfast person, ideas churned in my head, that lead me to this delicious savory vegan breakfast recipe for chipotle scrambled tofu.
Happy to report, that this recipe for tofu scramble has become my favorite vegan meat recipe and I can not wait to use this for burritos or top my nachos with this! I honestly could not wait to use my leftover chipotle tofu scramble vegan meat and my dinner that evening was a delicious enchilada sauce rice bowl topped with a generous serving of guacamole (more on that at the bottom of this blog post!)
How to make chipotle tofu scramble
Ingredients for chipotle tofu scramble
- TOFU: One block firm tofu (click here to read my tips on making tofu free of any moisture)
- CHIPOTLE PEPPERS: Regular whole Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce straight from the can + chipotle sauce (also from the can)
- SPICES: Roasted cumin powder, oregano, salt & pepper
- PEPPERS: Mixed bell peppers (red and yellow) - colored capsicum
- CORN: Fresh off the cob or American sweet corn (frozen)
- BEANS: Black beans, Mexican beans or boiled red kidney beans - optional (I have tried with and without - love it both ways!)
- Cook the mixed peppers with some olive oil and garlic. Add chipotle peppers, chipotle adobo sauce, spices, tofu and cook until lightly browned and slightly crunchy on texture. Scramble the tofu bites using the back of a wooden spoon. The scrambled tofu should look spiced up and reddish brown.
Now there are 2 amazing ways to enjoy your meatless vegan tofu meat for breakfast. You could either prepare a delicious breakfast burrito or you could toast up some bread and enjoy scramble on toast. Crunchy and yummy!
- Whip an avocado until smooth and naturally creamy (if you are unable to find good avocados in India, click here to read how to ripe them at home in simple steps)
- Toast some bread and add a generous serving of whipped creamy avocado on it.
- Add lots of tofu scramble and enjoy! Healthy, filling, dreamy and beautiful vegetarian savory breakfast recipe, ready in less than ten minutes!
Awesome ways to enjoy vegan tofu meat or chipotle tofu scramble leftovers
- ENCHILADA RICE: I promise, this is tried and tested! Breakfast leftovers turned into a delicious dinner recipe the same day by simply making homemade enchilada sauce (this is the recipe I use by GIMME SOME OVEN) + some rice, that is cooked IN the sauce + leftover vegan tofu "meat" topped with generous amount of avocados. YUMMAY!
- NACHOS: This vegetarian recipe for Nachos with homemade cheese sauce, got its makeover in the form of tofu nachos that were SO yummy and perfect for weekend with some margaritas.
- BURRITO RICE BOWL: Another awesome way to use this delicious, quick and easy Mexican inspired tofu scramble.
chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- THIS is the brand that I use.
- SPICE LEVEL: Use 1 pepper for regular spicy and 2 for VERY spicy.
- The adobo sauce in this tofu scramble recipe refers to the liquid in the same tin.
- Where to find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in India? I purchase these tins from INA stores or FoodHall stores. Alternatively, you can find them on Amazon too.
more vegan/ vegetarian savory breakfast recipes to try:
- vegetable quiche using homemade pie crust
- garlic bread cheese toasts
- corn fritters
- mix vegetable cheese toasts
- vada pav (Indian style potato burgers)
- creamy mushroom toast
- chilli cheese corn toasts
- cheese and garlic savory muffins
Tofu, corn and peppers cooked with garlic, chipotle adobo sauce, served over crunchy toast topped with whipped avocado - perfect vegan breakfast!
- 200 grams firm tofu; moisture free (see notes)
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic (chopped)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/3 cup corn (fresh off the cob or frozen American sweet corn)
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (see notes)
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce (see notes)
- 4-5 slices of toasted bread
- 1 avocado (whipped)
- To a heated pan, add extra virgin olive oil and garlic. Cook for a few seconds and add bell peppers. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tofu cubes, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, oregano, cumin and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Scramble the tofu with the back of a wooden spoon and continue cooking until the tofu turns lightly crispy in texture.
- Add corn and beans (if using) and cook for a minute until everything comes together.
- Add some whipped or smashed avocado on toasted bread slices. Add cooked tofu scramble on it and enjoy!
- TOFU: To get rid of any excess moisture from tofu, click here to read some tips that work in my kitchen.
- CHIPOTLE PEPPERS IN ADOBO SAUCE: This is the brand that I use. Use 1 pepper for regular spicy and 2 for VERY spicy. The adobo sauce is simply the leftover liquid in the same tin. Where to find Chipotle Peppers in India? I purchase my can from food hall stores or INA market. Alternatively, you can buy them from Amazon.
Keywords: chipotle, tofu, sofritas, vegan, savory, breakfast