Golden crispy fried baby corn tossed in the best chilli, garlic, pepper ‘sauce’ with toasted sesame seeds, this recipe for chilli garlic baby corn salt and pepper is quick, easy and so delicious.
I love life hacks, but more than anything, I love a good recipe hack and this is exactly what I am going to teach you in this recipe for chilli garlic baby corn salt and pepper. I seem to have fallen in love with toasted sesame seeds. This love can very much be seen here in this recipe for easy mushroom puffs or these crispy pan fried noodles for example.
I simply love throwing in some toasted sesame seeds on anything and everything, which is why it has become sort of like a recipe hack for me! I love how the toasted sesame seeds add extra flavour and nuttiness to the dish.
This recipe for chilli garlic baby corn salt and pepper is the simplest appetiser recipe. The golden fried crispy baby corn is a snack alone in itself! Lightly blanched baby corn sticks, dipped in homemade tempura batter and then deep fried until golden brown … okay, arrest me now…
I bet, you wont be able to resist yourself from tasting so many of these before actually tossing them in the magic chilli garlic ‘sauce’ – which is just some oil heated up with about a tablespoon of chopped garlic and a teaspoon of chopped chilli mixed together with salt and pepper.
How to make chilli garlic baby corn salt and pepper?
Learn how to make the crunchiest golden crispy fried baby corn sticks. My calculation for this batter is 75 percent flour and 25 percent corn starch/ corn flour.
- In a large bowl, add blanched baby corn and sprinkle 1/4 cup of corn flour/ corn starch over it and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of flour (maida) and add 1/4 cup of corn flour/ corn starch to it.
- Add sparkling water (soda water) <— secret ingredient number 1 – to the batter and mix just until it becomes lump free – do not over mix.
- Dip the corn flour coated baby corn sticks in this batter and deep fry until golden brown.
- Toss in the magic chilli garlic ‘sauce’.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds <— secret ingredient number 2 and serve hot.
How to make toasted sesame seeds?
It is super easy to make toasted sesame seeds – you simply dry roast the sesame seeds in a frying pan and keep stirring with a wooden spoon for about 3 to 4 minutes until the colour turns golden brown and you can smell the nuttiness from the seeds.
Some more appetiser recipes from the blog that you might love:
- mushroom vol-au-vents
- cream cheese wontons
- mushroom puffs
- chicken gyozas
- summer spring rolls
- cheese and garlic savoury muffins
- crispy orange chicken
- corn fritters
Baby corn tossed in chilli, garlic, pepper ‘sauce’ with toasted sesame seeds, this recipe for chilli garlic baby corn salt and pepper is so easy and yummy.
- 200 grams Baby corn
- Oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour (maida)
- 1/2 cup Corn flour/ corn starch
- 3/4 cup Sparkling water ((soda water))
- 3 cups Water (for blanching baby corn)
Toasted Sesame Seeds
- In a frying pan, dry roast the sesame seeds for 3 – 4 minutes stirring consistently with a wooden spoon. Once they turn brown in colour, transfer the toasted seeds to a bowl to be used later.
Golden Fried Baby Corn
- Bring water to boil and add the sliced baby corn and let cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slice the baby corn one by two and keep aside
- Sieve and transfer the baby corn to a mixing bowl. Pat dry the baby corn until most of the water is evaporated. It is okay, if it is still little wet.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of corn flour on the cooked baby corn and mix until every piece is nicely coated with the corn flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large wok for deep frying the baby corn.
- While the oil is heating, take another mixing bowl and add flour and remaining corn flour mixture to it.
- Pour very cold sparkling water and mix only until the mixture becomes lump free. Do not over mix the batter.
- Dip the corn flour coated baby corn sticks in the batter and deep free until golden brown.
Chilli Garlic ‘Sauce’
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and add chopped garlic, chopped green chilli and red chilli flakes to it.
- Saute for about a minute or maximum two and add the fried baby corn, salt, pepper to it.
- Mix well and add toasted sesame seeds. Garnish with some chopped spring onions and serve hot.