Delicious summer spring rolls filled with grilled tofu, rice, peppers and lettuce, served with a delicious homemade peanut butter dip. Perfect vegan appetiser recipe.
I discovered my love for Vietnamese cuisine on my recent trip to Berlin and tried SO many Vietnamese restaurants and authentic Vietnamese delicacies. That is where I tried my first ever summer spring roll in a Vietnamese restaurant.
Berlin is full of small, cosy Vietnamese restaurants mostly with live kitchens and Vietnamese people serving you real food with big smile on their faces and treating you like their family members. One such super-cosy tiny little Vietnamese restaurant was Toni's . Everything on their menu is so delicious and affordable! The staff is the friendliest - I asked the kind lady, where in Berlin I can find the rice paper sheets and instead of guiding me with directions to the nearest Asian supermarket, she ran to her kitchen to fetch a packet of rice paper sheets for me! Kindness 101!
Anyway, I tried making these at my friend's place for a vegetarian cooking night and she was amazed to see how easy and yummy they were turned out to be. We enjoyed these summer rolls with a delicious peanut butter sauce, which was also super easy to make. I knew I had to re-create this recipe for the blog since I love developing appetiser recipes (click here to view all snack/ appetiser recipes on our site) and today I share with you the easiest recipe for summer spring rolls.
The best part about making summer spring rolls is the filling: You can choose any protein - chicken, tofu or even go with prawns. Fill your summer spring rolls (rice sheets) with some rice and veggies and wrap them up and there you have an excellent crowd-pleasing appetiser.
We used tofu for this recipe. You start preparing a simple marinade for tofu - mix together some oil, chilli garlic paste, soy sauce, salt+pepper and pour this marinade over the extra extra firm tofu, that has been pressed under a kitchen cloth to get rid of all excess moisture.
Prepare the summer spring rolls: You need some rice paper sheets, water, veggies of your choice and plain steamed rice.
Dip the sheet in water for not more than five seconds.
Place it on the counter and place a small piece of lettuce/ any green in the middle.
Place the grilled tofu and rice.
Add veggies, salt and pepper.
To make the yummiest asian peanut sauce, we used the Crunchy Peanut Butter by Happy Jars. I loved the crunchy bits in the dipping sauce and when mixed together with soy, honey (use maple syrup for vegan) and chilli garlic paste - we had the most perfect asian (Thai) style peanut dipping sauce for these summer spring rolls. Since this is all natural peanut butter, you must add water to have the dipping-sauce-consistency.
Scroll down for full recipe.
Similar recipes from the blog that you might like:
- chicken gyozas
- pan fried noodles with chilli garlic vegetables
- soupy Thai red curry rice noodles
- mushroom potstickers
- crispy orange chicken
- classic Thai red curry
- cream cheese wontons
Delicious Vietnamese summer spring rolls filled with grilled tofu, rice, peppers and lettuce, served with a delicious homemade peanut butter dip. Perfect vegan appetiser recipe.
For Grilled Tofu
- 200 grams Tofu (extra firm)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
For Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter (crunchy)
- 1/2 tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce (Dark or 1/2 tsp light soy)
- 1 tsp Chilli Garlic Paste
- 4-6 tbsp Water
For Rice Paper Rolls
- 6 Rice Paper Sheets
- Lettuce Leaves
- Red Capsicum (julienne)
- Yellow Capsicum (julienne)
- 1/4 cup Boiled rice
- Prepare the tofu marinade by mixing together oil, chilli garlic paste, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Grill the tofu on a grilling pan. Keep aside.
- Prepare the peanut butter sauce by adding peanut butter, soy sauce, honey (or maple syrup), chilli garlic paste, salt and water to a blender. Keep aside.
- Prepare the rice paper summer spring rolls by carefully dipping rice paper sheet (individually) in water for not more than five seconds.
- Place it on the counter. Add lettuce leaf, tofu, rice, veggies, salt and wrap and roll as shown in blog post.
- Serve with peanut butter dipping sauce and enjoy.
This post is sponsored by The Happy Jars. All opinions expressed are our own. Thank you for supporting brands that are making this site possible.