If I could pick one ingredient to cook with all my life, I would choose Puff Pastry right away! This store bought magic ingredient comes with endless possibilities to prepare desserts and starters. My favourite being these Ricotta & Spinach Puffs and also these adorable Strawberry cream cheese heart puffs from Blog archives.
It is just so simple to create something exotic in just a few easy steps.
Ever since I started experimenting with puff pastry, I have wanted to pair it up with my favourite vegetable = mushrooms <3
Prepare a very simple filling of mushrooms and onions tossed in some butter, garlic & pepper and its ready to be filled up in puff pastry to be baked and served as a crispy, flaky, delicious appetiser.
To prepare the filling, chop the mushrooms finely as shown in the picture:
Cook the onions, garlic and mushrooms in some butter...
and assemble them on the puff pastry
Cover it, shape it, brush some of that egg & top it with some sesame seeds and they are ready to go in the oven...
to ultimately look like this:
Here are some more recipes using Puff Pastry that you might like 🙂
- Brie and Onion Puffs
- Garlic and chilli chicken puffs
- Mushroom Puffs
- Ricotta and Spinach Puffs
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Heart Puffs
- Chocolate Braided Christmas Tree
Here is the video for how to make mushroom puffs
Flaky puff pastry stuffed with garlic onions and mushrooms.
- 2 tbsp Butter (salted)
- 300 grams Puff Pastry (store bought)
- 200 grams Mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Egg
- Thaw the puff pastry on the kitchen counter.
- In a saucepan, heat butter on medium flame.
- Add the chopped garlic and onion and let this cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, chilly powder, salt & pepper. Let this cook for about 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms are completely cooked. Turn off the flame and let this mixture cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree celsius. Roll out the puff pastry and cut it length wise. Spread the mushroom mixture on the rolled out pastry with a distance of about 1 cm from the edges.
- Put the other pastry on top of the mixture. Press the sides hard using a fork and brush the egg wash on it followed by sprinkling of some sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven by placing them on baking sheet (which is lined with butter paper) at 180 degree celsius for 25 minutes or until they are puffed up completely and turn golden in colour.