Simple, delicious and quick lemon coconut rice recipe that can be enjoyed as a snack or a whole meal (with yogurt or spiced yogurt :D). Really simple recipe of plain rice tossed in peanuts, desiccated coconut, lemon and south Indian spices.
Bouncing back to blogging with third recipe of the month (already!) I love how motivated I come back, every time I go on a break (read: writer’s block). My motivation level is as high as my love for coconut these days = tooooo high to handle *_*
Absolutely loving all things coconut these days and have been adding an insane amount to my curries and soups. Ever since I posted this recipe for corn, chickpeas and kale coconut curry, I have been happy to see my readers loving simple coconutty recipes. My favourite is still this recipe for soupy Thai red curry rice noodles. So healthy, vegan, and so full of flavour.
Coming back to this simple recipe for coconut lemon rice, I would rather call it an accident recipe. Developed as a result of my crazy coconut and peanut craving, I wanted to make this recipe with poha instead, but rice was simpler and also more accessible.
This recipe for south Indian style coconut lemon rice is my favourite thing to make for homely simple comfort-food-style dinner to serve with tadka rice. I love how this recipe comes together in less than ten minutes and is so full of flavour!
How to make coconut lemon rice?
- coconut oil gets heated up and rai, sarson (mustard) seeds, chillies and kadhi patta are added in
- nicely tempered, then peanuts enter the recipe and cooked until nicely toasted
- add some desiccated coconut and it gets all browned up
- salt, rice, lemon juice and voila
The key to get the maximum flavour is to have the coconut nicely toasted like this:
Add in the rice and mix it up, and serve.
(Keep scrolling for the recipe card)
Some more coconut recipes that you might love:
- vegetarian Thai red curry
- corn, chickpea and kale coconut curry
- soupy Thai red curry with rice noodles
Similar breakfast recipes that you might enjoy:
Really simple recipe of plain rice tossed in peanuts, desiccated coconut, lemon and south Indian spices.
- 2 cups Cooked Rice
- 2/3 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Rai Seeds (Red Mustard Seeds)
- 1 tsp Sarson Seeds (Black Mustard Seeds)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 7–8 leaves Kadhi Patta (Curry Leaves)
- 3–4 pieces Dried Red Chillies
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add rai seeds (red mustard seeds), sarson (black mustard seeds), dried red chillies, kadhi patta (curry leaves) to it. Let this crackle on medium low heat for a minute or two.
- Add the peanuts and let them get all toasted and brown in colour.
- Add desiccated coconut and let cook (sautéing consistently) for a minute until the coconut is toasted and turns brown in colour.
- Add salt, rice and lemon juice and mix well until everything is well combined.
- Let the rice cook over medium low heat for additional two to three minutes and serve hot with yogurt or as it is as a snack.