Flaky golden brown chicken puffs baked until crunchy and crispy, filled with a delicious asian style garlic chicken filling made in easy steps. The perfect chicken puffs recipe for appetiser or snack that is so filling and absolutely easy to make at home.
You know how I love making interesting recipes using puff pastry and while I love using it for mushrooms (like in these mushroom puffs or mushroom vol-au-vents), adding a delicious flavourful filling of chicken to puff pastry dough and baking it to perfect golden brown flaky puff (or pattice) is my second favourite way to take advantage of the versatility of this golden ingredient that we call puff pastry.
Lots of bakeries in India offer sandwiches and puffs (that we call patties or pattice) as snacks and even the canteen in my school offered puffs that were filled with delicious Indian style spicy potato filling and then there was a variation, that has a delicious curried paneer filling. The bakery near my home offers delicious puffs that are filled with mushrooms, but the most selling patty or puff pastry item on their menu is chicken puffs, which I absolutely love.
These flaky bakery style chicken puffs are perfect if you are looking for fancy appetiser recipe that can be made at home – plus the filling, its so so good. Asian style, sweet and spicy, caramelised chicken filling that is so easy to make and just the perfect option for your puff pastry filling. Serve these chicken puffs as it is, or as a side dish to your summer or spring recipes or probably with a delicious fresh salad like this arugula salad that is so easy.
What is puff pastry?
Simply made with flour and butter (literally laminated with butter) – puff pastry is made by layering lots of butter within a dough that is prepared with flour. You simply fold in a thick layer of solid, cold butter (brick) and then roll out and store and roll and out and store again multiple times… until you get a really layered pastry which we call puff pastry to make delicious (mostly fancy) appetisers or even desserts. When baked, the puff pastry dough literally puffs up in thin golden brown layers, which is we call then “puff” pastry.
Puff pastry can be easily made at home, it is extremely time consuming (but definitely fun and a lot better) and I normally make it for homemade croissants – but the quicker route for making delicious puff pastry appetisers is to use store bought puff pastry which is easily available in modern super markets.
How to make Chicken Puffs with store bought puff pastry?
Ingredients for puff pastry chicken puffs recipe:
- Store bought puff pastry – One full sheet or 500 grams of puff pastry that is thawed until just a little cold.
- Chicken – Ground chicken for the sweet and spicy garlic chicken filing
- Garlic – Regular garlic that is finely chopped
- Soy Sauce – For a little umami (asian) flavour that also allows a little bit of caramelisation to the ground chicken
- Honey – For the sweetness and extra flavour to the spicy caramelised chicken
- Seasoning – Salt & Chilli Flakes
Instructions for puff pastry chicken puffs recipe:
While you thaw the store bought puff pastry on the kitchen counter, prepare the delicious asian style caramelised chicken filling that is sweet and spicy and garlicky.
Step 1: Heat some oil in a pan and add the ground chicken. Cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes breaking consistently. Add salt, pepper, chilli and garlic and continue cooking.
Step 2: Once the chicken is nearly cooked, add soy sauce and honey. Cook for 3-4 minutes more transfer the chicken filling to a bowl.
Step 3: Cut 10 equal rectangles off the puff pastry and carefully place 2-3 tablespoons of chicken filling on one side.
Step 4: Stretch the other side (the cover) and place carefully on the sheet.
Step 5: Seal properly and do the same for the remaining 4 puffs. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 6: Brush egg on the puffs and sprinkle black and white sesame seeds.
Step 7: Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 degree celsius until golden brown in colour and your flaky chicken puffs are ready.
Possible variations/ questions?
Can chicken puffs be made ahead? Yes, make them upto the part where the chicken puffs are sealed and filled with the asian style chicken filling and store them in the refrigerator – once you are ready to make them, simply transfer them to the oven and bake as listed in recipe card.
Can chicken puffs be stored? Yes, in the refrigerator, very easily for upto 2-3 days.
How to re-heat chicken puffs? Simply transfer the refrigerated (stored) chicken puffs to the kitchen counter until it has come to room temperature. Then transfer the chicken puffs to the pre-heated oven and bake at 150 degree celsius for 7-8 minutes.
More interesting recipes to make with store bought puff pastry:Print
Flaky golden brown chicken puffs baked until crunchy and crispy, filled with a delicious asian style garlic chicken filling made in easy steps. The perfect recipe for appetiser or snack, so filling and absolutely easy to make at home.
For the Asian style garlic chicken filling:
- 150 grams Ground Chicken
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Honey
For the puff pastry puffs:
- 1 sheet or 500 grams of store bought puff pastry
- 1 Egg (see note 1)
- 3 tbsp White Sesame Seeds
- 3 tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
- Thaw the puff pastry and place it on the kitchen counter.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the ground chicken to it. Cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes breaking consistently. Add salt, pepper, chilli and garlic and continue cooking.
- Once the chicken is nearly cooked, add soy sauce and honey. Cook for 3-4 minutes more transfer the chicken filling to a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius.
- Cut 10 equal rectangles off the puff pastry and carefully place 2-3 tablespoons of chicken filling on one side.
- Stretch the other side (the cover) and place carefully on the sheet. Seal properly and do the same for the remaining 4 puffs.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush egg on the puffs and sprinkle black and white sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 degree celsius until golden brown in colour.
- Egg wash is applied on the puff pastry dough for the golden colour and also for the sesame seeds to be able to stick on the top of the chicken puffs.
Keywords: chicken, puffs, pastry, puff, asian, filling