I love eating a cold couscous salad in summer time! It is incredibly easy to prepare, does not require stove (hello cooking without fire!) and I love the choice of toppings that one can add to it.
But my most favourite reason to love couscous salad is that it is so easy to prepare at work!! No doubt, this is my favourite thing to eat in lunch time. I always carry grilled veggies and some dressing and prepare the couscous an hour before eating (since it needs time in the refrigerator) You simply add some hot water to the dry couscous and it will automatically puff up - magic! right?
How to cook couscous?
The most ideal couscous to water ratio is 1 : 1 1/2 i.e. for every one cup of couscous, you add 1 1/2 cup of hot water to it. I always like to add at least 1/2 tablespoon of stock powder while it is cooking - just for that extra flavour. For this recipe, add 3/4 cup of dry couscous to a mixing bowl and sprinkle about 1/2 tablespoon vegetable stock powder, salt & pepper over it. Pour 1 1/4 cup of hot water and cover. Let this sit for about 10 minutes. Puff it up with the help of a fork.
Choice of toppings
You can add anything from cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, onions and you have a fresh summer salad ready in easy steps!
For this recipe, I added roasted yellow and red peppers and some roasted chickpeas and of course, my favourite: goats cheese 😀
The most basic and easiest dressing ever!!! - simply mix together honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Works every time, with every salad!
Some more salad recipes from the blog that you might like:
- Sun dried tomato and feta pasta salad
- Pesto pasta salad
- Corn and Pomegranate pearl barley salad
- Asian pearl barley salad
- Roasted beetroot salad with goats cheese and walnuts
- Asian noodle salad with peanut butter dressing
Light and delicious couscous salad with roasted yellow and red peppers and chickpeas
- 3/4 cup Couscous
- 1 1/2 cup Water (hot)
- 1/2 tbsp Vegetable Stock Powder
- 1/2 cup Yellow Capsicum (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Red Capsicum (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup Chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tbsp Honey
- 1/4 cup Goats Cheese or Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- In a large mixing bowl, add couscous, stock powder, salt, pepper and pour hot water and cover. Let this sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, puff up the couscous with a fork and let it come to normal room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius.
- In a bowl, add chickpeas and 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Add chilli powder and mix.
- In another bowl, add the chopped yellow and red capsicums. Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli powder and mix well.
- Transfer these in two sections a baking tray and let cook for about 20-25 minutes at 180 degree celsius.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing together the remaining olive oil (2 tbsp) with honey and lemon juice.
- In a large salad bowl, add the couscous, grilled veggies, oven roasted chickpeas and pour over the dressing. Add the crumbled cheese and refrigerate the salad before serving.