So happy to report that I could finally prove the versatility of my yummy homemade Indian curry paste recipe (bhuna masala) and use it for something beyond Rajma (red kidney beans Indian curry). Finally used it to experiment in my chana masala recipe with an addition of coconut milk –> one ingredient that I just can not get enough of! This recipe is so easy and quick and so full of flavour inspite of being made in simple steps.
After having used chickpeas in this salad recipe for crunchy chickpeas, and this delicious curry with kale and grilled corn and also this homely, comforting curry with spinach, I wanted to make something using the Indian flavours and therefore created an easy authentic Indian style chana masala coconut curry that goes so well with jeera (cumin rice).
How to make coconut curry chana masala?
- chickpeas: soft boiled chickpeas – scroll to recipe card to learn how to cook chickpeas at home or used canned chickpeas (reserving chickpea water)
- coconut milk: for the natural creaminess
- homemade Indian curry paste (bhuna masala): click here or on the image below for the recipe.
- To a pan, add oil, homemade curry paste and chickpeas and cook for a minute.
- Then add coconut milk, chickpea water, salt, pepper and let the curry simmer for a few minutes.
Possible questions/ variations?
- Can this coconut curry chana masala be made vegan? yes! this recipe is vegetarian – to make it vegan, replace ghee with oil in bhuna masala (Indian curry paste) recipe and your vegan coconut curry chana masala is ready.
Delicious coconut curry chana (white chickpeas/ chhole) masala made with homemade Indian red curry paste and coconut milk. Goes best with jeera (cumin) rice.
- 2 cups chickpeas (see note 1)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chickpeas water
- 3 tbsp homemade Indian red curry masala paste (bhuna masala) <– click here for recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Add oil to a pan and let heat for a few seconds on medium flame.
- Add chickpeas and homemade Indian curry paste (bhuna masala) and cook for a minute.
- Add chickpea water, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Let the curry simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the curry has come to a boil, turn off the flame and serve the coconut curry channa masala with some jeera (cumin) rice.
- You can use canned chickpeas for this recipe. If you have dried chickpeas, then soak 1/2 cup of chickpeas in 1 1/2 cup water and keep it overnight. Next morning, transfer the soaked chickpeas to an Indian pressure cooker & add 1 cup water. Cook until 2 whistles and then on slow for 5-10 minutes. Let the pressure release and let the cooker cool down on its own. Use the chickpea and chickpea water for the curry.
- To make the recipe vegan, replace ghee with oil in Indian curry paste recipe.
Keywords: coconut, curry, channa, masala, vegan, vegetarian