Delicious coconut curry chana (white chickpeas/ chhole) masala made with homemade Indian red curry paste and coconut milk. Goes best with jeera (cumin) rice.
- 2 cups chickpeas (see note 1)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chickpeas water
- 3 tbsp homemade Indian red curry masala paste (bhuna masala) <-- click here for recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Add oil to a pan and let heat for a few seconds on medium flame.
- Add chickpeas and homemade Indian curry paste (bhuna masala) and cook for a minute.
- Add chickpea water, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Let the curry simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the curry has come to a boil, turn off the flame and serve the coconut curry channa masala with some jeera (cumin) rice.
- You can use canned chickpeas for this recipe. If you have dried chickpeas, then soak 1/2 cup of chickpeas in 1 1/2 cup water and keep it overnight. Next morning, transfer the soaked chickpeas to an Indian pressure cooker & add 1 cup water. Cook until 2 whistles and then on slow for 5-10 minutes. Let the pressure release and let the cooker cool down on its own. Use the chickpea and chickpea water for the curry.
- To make the recipe vegan, replace ghee with oil in Indian curry paste recipe.
Keywords: coconut, curry, channa, masala, vegan, vegetarian