Tofu is one ingredient loved by few, disliked by many for different reasons. A lot of people don’t like the texture of tofu, many find it simply tasteless and most people run out of ideas to create recipes with this super-heathy ingredient.
We are on a mission: A mission to start liking tofu & to create recipes so that you guys can like it too! After a lot of recipe testing and developing some very interesting recipes for you guys (coming soon on the blog: tofu chocolate mousse, sesame honey tofu & stir fried tofu) we started liking this versatile ingredient especially after experimenting with pan asian flavours or anything involving chilli, garlic & spring onions.
These Sesame crusted baked tofu bitestofu bites are ready in just about 40 minutes, require very very simple ingredients and perfect for snacking – plus they are BAKED, not fried.
Tofu is that one ingredient, which takes up the flavour of anything that it is cooked it in – so for this recipe, we decided to upgrade the regular breadcrumbs by adding in a few cloves of garlic to it while blending. To make the bread crumbs, simply blend slices of bread in a blender with some garlic cloves. Then transfer these to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and then toast for about 5-7 minutes until they turn golden brown & crispy like this:
While the breadcrumbs are being toasted – prepare the tofu. It is very important to get rid of any liquid before you start cooking. Place a kitchen town on a flat surface and place the tofu on this. Cover it with another kitchen towel/ paper towel and put some extra weight on it, a small baking glass dish for example or something similarly heavy. Let the kitchen town soak all the excess liquid before you start cooking.
The tofu bites (before going in the oven) are dipped in curd/ yoghurt/ dahi mixture, then coated with the toasted bread crumbs and lastly coated with mixed sesame seeds.
Bake this for about 25-30 minutes (flipping in between) and serve them with choice of dipping sauce.
Scroll down for the full recipe:Print
Crispy crunchy sesame crusted baked tofu bites.
- 200 grams Tofu (extra firm)
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 4 slices White bread
- 1/4 cup Dahi/ Yoghurt/ Curd
- 1 tbsp Black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp White sesame seeds
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Spring onion
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Place a kitchen towel/ paper towel on a flat surface or chopping board and place the tofu on it. Cover it with the kitchen towel and place a heavy bowl over it, so that all the excess liquid is absorbed by the kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven at 200 degree celsius.
- In a mixing bowl mix together curd, salt, pepper & chilli powder and keep this aside.
- To make bread crumbs, blend the white bread slices with garlic. Transfer the bread crumbs to a baking dish lined with parchment paper and bake for about 5-6 minutes (keeping a constant eye on them as they can burn easily) until they are golden brown and crispy.
- In another mixing bowl add the white sesame seeds and black sesame seeds.
- Once the breadcrumbs are toasted, transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and dip the cubes one by one – first in the curd mixtures, then in the breadcrumbs and lastly covering it with sesame seeds.
- Transfer these to a baking dish lined with parchment paper and some oil brushed on it. Bake these tofu bites for 15 minutes. Flip them and bake fir another 15-20 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Transfer them to a dish, sprinkle some spring onions and serve with a dipping sauce of choice.