Restaurant style Indo chinese Manchurian recipe made at home in simple easy steps. These delicious vegetarian meatless meatballs are also VEGAN! & so full of different veggies like carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, coated in a delicious spicy sticky asian style sauce, packed with lots of delicious flavour in one recipe.
For manchurian balls (vegetarian meatballs)
- 1 cup carrot (grated)
- 1 cup cabbage (grated)
- 1 cup cauliflower (grated)
- 1/2 cup green beans (very finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida) - see note 1
- 1/2 cup rice flour - see note 1
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced or paste)
- 1 tbsp ginger (minced or paste)
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
For the sticky asian style sauce
- 1/2 cup onions (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup green capsicum (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp red chilli sauce or sriracha
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 6 tbsp water
- Squeeze the cabbage, carrots, cauliflower separately with the pressure of the palm of your hands, to get rid of all water from the vegetables. Add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add soy sauce, salt, pepper, ginger, garlic, flour and rice flour and mix everything together. (see note 1)
- Prepare small balls of roughly 3 tbsp of the dough and transfer them to the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes until you prepare the sticky asian sauce for these vegetarian meatballs. The rolled balls should be very stiff.
- To a pan, add 2 tbsp oil and heat on medium flame.
- Add onions and garlic and cook on medium flame for a few seconds. Add the capsicum and continue cooking until lightly browned.
- Now add soy sauce, red chilli sauce (or sriracha), corn flour and water and let the sauce come to a boil. Turn off the flame and keep aside.
- Transfer the refrigerated manchurian balls to the kitchen counter.
- Heat oil in a large wok for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, add the manchurian balls one by one and cook until golden brown in colour.
- Transfer the crispy golden brown manchurian balls to the sticky sauce and mix until well coated. Cook in the sauce for just 1 minute on medium flame.
- Add spring onions and sesame seeds. Serve hot with hakka noodles, fried rice, or sesame noodles.
Note 1 - all purpose flour and rice flour are added to the manchurian/ vegetable dough to help with binding. Make sure that all water is squeezed out from the vegetables and then add the flours accordingly depending on the texture that is formed.