Quick and easy tadka rice recipe. Boiled rice tossed in onions, tomatoes and simple tempering of mustard seeds (rai and sarson), kadhi patta (curry leaves) and turmeric.
- 1 cup onions (sliced)
- 2/3 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp rai ((red mustard seeds))
- 1/2 tsp sarson ((black mustard seeds))
- 1/4 tsp heeng ((asafoetida))
- 2-3 pieces dried red chillies
- 2 cups cooked (boiled) plain white rice
- 3-4 kadhi patta (curry leaves)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- In a pan, add oil and onions. Cook on medium low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Push them aside, add mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida and cook for about a minute until the mustard seeds crackle.
- After 2 minutes, add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Cook for about 2 minutes and add rice.
- Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle some chopped yogurt and serve hot.