Four ingredient crispy and flaky strawberry cream cheese heart shaped puffs (or strawberry pastries) that are delicious and perfect for your valentine, giving you the perfect dessert that is so easy to make at home!
- 1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry (in the US: 1/2 of 17.3 ounces package) thawed
- 1 cup strawberries, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp sugar (castor sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius or 350F.
- Roll out the puff pastry just a little bit to flatten it out - it should still be thick.
- With the help of a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut the puff pastry into 10-12 hearts.
- Now with the help of a toothpick or a smaller heart shaped cutter, score/ make insertions to half-inch from the edges. Make sure that you do not cut through the pastry.
- Now spread some cream cheese (room temp) within the scored part.
- Mix together chopped strawberries and sugar and carefully place them over the cream cheese.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are puffed up and pastries are golden brown in colour.
- Drizzle some honey or syrup (optional) and enjoy!
- CREAM CHEESE: It is best to keep your cream cheese at the kitchen counter for some time, until it naturally softens up to room temperature. This way it becomes easy to spread.
- PUFF PASTRY: Avoid adding any flour to the pastry sheet when you roll out and make sure you roll it out not-too-thin to ensure very crunchy flaky layers.
- STRAWBERRY MIX: When you add sugar to chopped strawberries, it will tend to leave out liquid (syrup) - and you don't want that for this recipe. Add sugar to strawberries right towards the end only after you’ve added cream cheese to the heart shaped puff pastries.
- MIXTURE QUANTITY: Don't overstuff the strawberry mixture & make sure they are within the inner hearts - it's the outer lawyer with no mixture that puffs up into crispy flaky puffs & if there is a lot of mixture, the puffs would just sink in rather than rising into crunchy layers.
- VARIATIONS: Feel free to mix it up or add some blueberries/ nuts to the strawberry mix or simply apple and cinnamon would be nice combination too.
Keywords: strawberry, dessert, eggless, breakfast, valentines