Crunchy homemade chocolate and walnut granola that is quick, easy and so delicious. Perfect to build up yummy granola parfaits for breakfast with delicious nutty toasted rolled oats and yummy chocolate flavour!
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 1/4 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 3–4 tbsp sugar (see notes)
- 2/3 cup cup walnuts (lightly broken/ chopped)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (essence)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (mix of dark, milk and white chocolate chips)
- Flaky sea salt (or regular salt) – just a pinch (as per your liking) roughy 1/4-1/2 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180 degree celsius).
- Mixing – to a large bowl, add oats, coconut oil (or unsalted butter), cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla and mix well.
- Bake – transfer to a large sheet pan/ baking tray lined with parchment paper and cook/ bake for 20 minutes. Add walnuts, toss and bake further for 5-10 minutes until golden brown and crunchy. Now let sit on kitchen counter for 5 minutes and add chocolate chips. Mix well to form thick clusters to your liking. Add flaky sea salt and mix again.
- Cooling/ Storing homemade Granola – Let the granola sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes and let cool naturally. If you are living in India (like me) – let cool for 10 mins till it comes to room temperature, then transfer in the refrigerator for 20 mins before eating/ storing.
- What kind of sugar to use for Granola? I have used regular white caster sugar for the recipe. Brown sugar should work too.
- How much sugar to use? I like to use 3 tbsp for this recipe. However I felt I needed to add some syrup to my parfait. The recipe is very flexible and lets you choose the amount of sweetness you would prefer and how healthy you would like the granola batch to be.
Keywords: breakfast, homemade, granola, sweet