Three ingredient authentic and easy fluffy Indian jeera (cumin) rice with the perfect texture. Dry and all grains separated, lets learn how to cook basmati rice.
- 1 cup long grain rice (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp jeera (cumin) seeds
- 2 cups water
- Transfer the rice to a mixing bowl and wash with water at least 6 to 7 times until the rice until all the surface starch is clearly removed. Add 2 cups of water and your rice should be visible through the water layer.
- Let the rice soak in water for 10 minutes.
- To a wok or kadhai, add oil and let heat on medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle for just 3-4 seconds.
- Now add the soaked rice with the water and cover with a lid and let cook for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Turn off the flame and let the rice sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Take the lid off and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Enjoy with rajma (red kidney beans curry) or malai kofta & some yummy chutney.
- Always try to use long grain basmati rice to make Indian style cumin rice. They are aged and are perfect in flavor!
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, sides, rice, indian