Better than take out and so easy to make at home, these Asian style vegan potstickers have a crispy bottom (gyozas!) and are filled with a very delicious vegetable filling tossed in Chinese sauces giving you the perfect dumplings to enjoy as a delicious appetizer or double up and enjoy as a yummy meatless main dish!
- 30–36 gyoza/ dumpling/ wonton wrappers
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil (3 tbsp for cooking the filling/ mixture and 3 tbsp for cooking dumplings/ potstickers)
- 1 cup cabbage (shredded in food processor or very finely chopped or grated)
- 1 cup carrot (shredded in food processor or very finely chopped or grated)
- 2 cups mushrooms (finely chopped) – used regular white button mushrooms for this recipe
- 3/4 cup firm or extra firm tofu (crumbled or finely chopped)
- 2 tsp ginger (grated)
- 2 tsp garlic (grated)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (light or dark – both should work)
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar or brown sugar
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and add mushrooms. Cook on medium flame stirring every every few minutes until all moisture from mushrooms is evaporated and they start turning light brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, cabbage, carrot, salt, pepper and mix well. Let cook for a few minutes until all liquid is evaporated and the mixture begins to reduce. This should take 5-6 minutes on medium flame. Keep stirring.
- Once the mixture begins to cook more (starts changing colour), add soy sauce, sugar, sriracha, sesame oil, mix and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Transfer the filling mixture to a bowl and let cool or come down to room temperature.
- Add about 1 tbsp mixture into dumpling wrappers and fold (shown elaborately in blog post). Keep the dumplings covered until its time to cook them.
- To a pan, add 1 tbsp oil and let spread evenly all over the pan. Add about 10-12 dumplings and let brown on the bottom on medium flame. Add 3-4 tbsp of water for every 12 dumplings and immediately cover. Let cook for 2-3 minutes and then further for one minute uncovered.
- Repeat for remaining potstickers and serve hot with dipping sauce of your choice.