Delicious, crispy oven baked crunchy tofu that is soft and chewy from the inside and coated with sweet and spicy sticky sesame sauce - perfect to serve with rice or to enjoy as appetizer.
CRISPY OVEN BAKED TOFU
- 400 grams (2 blocks) Tofu
- 2 tbsp oil (extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 tbsp corn starch (corn flour)
STICKY SESAME SAUCE
- 1 tbsp corn flour or corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock (see notes)
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (dark or light)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- spring onions for garnish
CRUNCHY BAKED TOFU:
(Two alternate methods to cook tofu in a pan are explained in blog post above)
- Drain out the liquid from the tofu blocks and get rid of any excess moisture (see note 1)
- Cut the dry, moisture-free tofu block into chunks or cubes of your desired size.
- To a large mixing bowl, add tofu cubes, oil, corn flour (or corn starch) salt and pepper. Give it a gentle mix and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake at 200 degrees for 25 minutes or until the tofu is browned up from the outside. Do not over-bake, as it will dry out completely.
STICKY SESAME SAUCE:
- To a bowl, add corn starch (corn flour), water, vegetable stock (see note), soy sauce, sriracha and garlic. Mix well. Add to a pan and cook for a minute on low flame for 10-12 seconds. Add sesame seeds and cook additional minute or two until the sauce has thickened.
- Add crispy baked tofu and mix well until every tofu cube is well coated with the sauce. Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve.
- Serve with plain rice or noodles and enjoy.
- The number one tip to make really delicious baked tofu is to get rid of all possible moisture from the tofu block. The easiest way to make the firm tofu really dry and free of any excess moisture is to wrap it in a kitchen cloth and place something heavy over it, so that the kitchen towel or cloth absorbs all the liquid and every little bit of moisture is drained out of the tofu block. Let it sit covered and pressed for about 15 minutes. Check out the video in this blog post to see how I do this.
- Vegetable Stock: If you dont have access to vegetable stock, mix one cube of this cube with hot water.
Keywords: vegan, tofu, asian