Vegan, delicious and easy crispy sticky cauliflower coated in Asian style sweet sesame sauce. Serve it as an appetiser, bar snack or serve with rice for a simple meatless weeknight meal.
- 3 cups cauliflower florets or 400 grams (measured after cutting)
- 1/2 cup regular all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup + 1-2 tbsp soda water (see notes)
- oil for deep frying
Sticky sesame sauce:
- 1 tbsp corn flour or corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock (see notes)
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (dark or light)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- spring onions for garnish
- Crispy Cauliflower: To a bowl, add flour, rice flour, salt, pepper and soda water. Mix well. Add cauliflower florets and mix until every floret is well coated. Deep fry until golden brown and keep aside (see notes for how to sustain crispy-ness)
- Sticky Sesame Sauce: To a bowl, add corn starch (corn flour), water, vegetable stock (see note), soy sauce, sriracha and garlic. Mix well. Add to a pan and cook for a minute on low flame for 10-12 seconds. Add sesame seeds and cook additional minute or two until the sauce has thickened.
- Add crispy cauliflower and mix well until every floret is well coated with the sauce. Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve.
- Additional step to make them extra crispy in notes (requires oven for 10-12 minutes)
- Soda water is essential for this batter to give crispy cauliflower.
- Keep the cauliflower crispy post frying: Transfer the crispy cauliflower to a baking sheet lined with aluminium and place in the oven at temperature 160 degrees, just to keep the cauliflower florets warm and crunchy (10-15 minutes while you make your sauce). When your sauce is ready, add the cauliflower to the sauce and enjoy.
- If you dont have access to vegetable stock, mix one cube of this cube with hot water.
- Extra crispy cauliflower: Transfer the cooked sticky sesame cauliflower back to the aluminium lined baking sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes at 200 degree celsius. Result: lightly charred, caramelised candy coated cauliflower florets that made them even more crispy! Elevated the entire experience - do give this a try if you have additional 10 mins in hand.
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, appetizer, cauliflower