Savory parmesan french toast loaded with simple yet bold flavors topped with delicious garlicky mushrooms and spinach, topped with spicy hot pepper honey make for a yummy salty breakfast or brunch that is quick and easy to make.
For Savory French Toast
- 6 slices of bread (see note 1)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning or mixed dried herbs
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or chili powder
- 4 tbsp butter
For Mushroom & Spinach Topping
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 200 grams regular white mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 cups of spinach (chopped) or baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary (or fresh)
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
Spicy Pepper Honey (optional but highly recommended!)
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Heat honey in saucepan or transfer to glass bowl & microwave until liquid. Add pepper, cayenne pepper, salt and mix until well combined.
Mushroom & Spinach Mixture
- To a pan, add olive oil and heat for a few seconds. Add mushrooms and let cook for a few minutes until mushrooms are browned.
- Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Add spinach and mix until well wilted and well combined. Once fully cooked, transfer to a bowl and let cool. Add parmesan cheese and mix well. Keep aside.
French Toast Recipe
- To a large bowl, add everything listed under "french toast" except for bread and whisk until fully combined.
- Heat a tbsp of butter in a non stick pan. While the butter melts, transfer bread (one slice at a time) to the french toast custard (mix) and let the bread soak the mixture for about 3-4 seconds each side. Transfer the bread to the pan. Its easier to cook 2 bread slices at one time.
- Let cook on medium low flame for 2-3 minutes and flip carefully. Add another tbsp of butter and let it slide to the corners of the french toast slices and and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Cook until the edges of the bread get lightly pan fried and the egg custard on the bread (middle) is fully cooked and golden brown in colour (see blog post above for image)
- Transfer to a plate and repeat the same for remaining bread slices.
- Top with parmesan spinach & mushroom mixture and drizzle spicy honey over it. Serve.
Note 1 - Just make sure whatever bread you use, its not too soft. I love using multigrain bread as its drier than regular white bread, plus its tastier! Sourdough bread or any kind of dry/ stale-ish bread that's a day or two old would work very well too.