Easy beetroot salad with candied walnuts and goats cheese
- 50 grams Rocket leaves (we used organic)
- 30 grams Goats Cheese
For roasted beet root
- 250 grams Beet root
- 1/2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp oil (we used canola)
- 30 grams Walnuts
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt + Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200 degree celsius. Peel and cut the beet roots and put them in a bowl.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, salt and oil. Mix well and put the beetroots on a baking tray lined with foil.
- Bake them at 200 degree celsius for 25 to 30 minutes until you are able to prick a fork easily and they look crispy and glazed.
- While the beet roots are cooking, prepare the candied walnuts by adding the sugar to a sauce pan on low flame. Let the sugar melt on low flame. Add the butter and mix well. The brown toffee sauce should be ready and now pour in the walnuts and mix in a way that the walnuts are completely covered in the toffee sauce. Mix well for about 2 -3 minutes. Make sure that the flame is low throughout. Do not increase it.
- Transfer them to a baking tray lined with butter paper and put them in the oven for maximum 5 minutes at 200 degree celsius. Keep an eye on them, as they can burn easily.
- Take the walnuts out of the oven and let the walnuts cool down for at least 10 minutes. They should be very crunchy.
- Prepare your dressing by mixing together olive oil, honey and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper according to your taste.
- In a big salad bowl, add the rocket leaves and place the beet roots on them. (you can cut the beet roots even smaller or even into small cubes!) Pour the dressing over the salad. Add the walnuts and crumbled goats cheese and serve.