Yummy penne alla vodka - pasta tossed in a quick and easy tomato, cream and vodka based sauce that is so delicious and simple.
- 3 cups Penne Pasta
- 1 cup Tomatoes; 200 grams
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup Vodka
- 1/4 cup Cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Boil the pasta and reserve 1/4 cup of starchy pasta water before draining. *note 1
- Cut the tomatoes 1 by 4 and add them to a blender. Puree until a smooth tomato paste is formed.
- In a pan, add olive oil and sliced garlic. Cook on low flame for a few seconds until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, chilli flakes. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 minutes until the tomato mixture has reduced. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to the blender and mix until smooth.
- Transfer the tomato mixture back to the pan and add pasta, reserved 1/4 cup of starchy pasta water and cook on medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to low and add cream and vodka. Mix well and cook on low flame for 1 minute mixing everything together until well combined and the pasta is well coated with the creamy tomato vodka sauce. Turn off the flame.
- Add parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Transfer to serving bowls and serve.
- Boil 3 cups of pasta with 5 cups of water and let the pasta cook al dente. Right before straining the pasta, reserve the starchy pasta water and use it for the pasta sauce.
Keywords: pasta, vegetarian, tomato, cream, mains