Sweet and spicy sagar ratna style onion tomato and peanut chutney.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup onions (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1/3 cup peanuts
- 1/4 tsp heeng (asafoetida)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and add onions to it.
- Let them cook for about 4-5 minutes on low heat.
- Add peanuts and let them get slightly crunchy - cook for not more than two minutes. Transfer the onions and peanuts to one side of the pan.
- Add 1/2 tbsp oil and then add heeng/ asafoetida to it. Let cook for one minute and mix together with onions.
- Add the tomatoes and cover. Let this cook for good five to six minutes.
- Add water, chilli powder, sugar and mix. Cover again and let this cook for additional two-three minutes.
- Once cooked completely, let this mixture cool and blend this until smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with dosa or chutney or rice crackers.
Make sure that the quantity of onions is slightly more than the quantity of tomatoes.
Keywords: onion, tomato, south Indian, style, chutney