Delicious, quick and incredibly easy veg potato nuggets or cutlets, mixed with veggies of your choice giving you the yummiest crispy vegan appetizer ever!
- 300 grams boiled and mashed potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 2/3 cup chopped green capsicum or any bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup corn flour (or corn starch)
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (for homemade, see note 1)
- To a pan, add oil and let heat for a minute. Add chopped onions and saute until light brown. Add chopped carrots and capsicum or bell peppers. Add salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium low flame until the veggies are lightly cooked.
- Let cool in pan for about ten minutes and lightly mash or bend for 2-3 seconds in a blender/ food processor – do not over-mash.Â
- Add the veggie mix to mashed potatoes and mix until well combined. Shape the cutlets into rounds or oval however you like and keep aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add corn flour and water. Mix and add salt and pepper.
- Dip the cutlets or nuggets into the cornflour slurry mix and immediately into the bread crumb mix (see video for veg nuggets in this post for reference – right above the recipe card)Â
- Refrigerate the nuggets for 15 minutes.
- (Healthier options to cook veg nuggets listed in notes!) Add oil in a large kadhai and deep fry the nuggets until golden brown. Serve with ketchup or dip of your choice. Enjoy!
- Nutrition chart listed below is for deep frying method.
- To make bread crumbs at home, simple add bread slices to a food processor or blender and blitz until crumbs are formed. I used white bread slices for this recipe.
- Healthier options to cook potato nuggets: BAKING: You can bake these veggie nuggets in the oven instead of deep frying. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degree celsius and brush oil on parchment sheet. Place the nuggets (make sure they are firm so dont skip the refrigeration process) on the sheet. Brush some oil over the nuggets and transfer to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. AIR-FYRER: You can also cook these veg nuggets in an air fryer. Set the temperature to 200 degree celsius and brush oil on both sides of the nuggets. Place them in the fryer and air fry for 15-20 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- To freeze potato nuggets – fry them until half done and just about set and the crumbs are cooked. Transfer them to a plate or rack to get rid of any excess oil. Store in airtight container and transfer to freezer. When using, thaw them at the kitchen counter (on room temp) and cook with your desired method: deep frying/ air frying or baking.
Keywords: vegetarian, vegan, potato, vegetable, nuggets