These gorgeous golden brown apple pies were gone in 10 minutes when they were made! Served warm or at room temperature with a scoop of ice cream, they will serve as the perfect dessert option! These pies are really like huge giant raviolis with a generous stuffing of apples, cinnamon, lemon and sugar.
The pastry is so simple to make and its really impossible to explain the beautiful smell in my kitchen when I opened the oven for a while (to turn the baking tray) while these were baking. The gorgeous smell of flour and butter – need I say more? In addition to the standard pastry recipe of mixing flour and butter, I also added three teaspoons of sour cream which totally changed the game somehow!
These pies turned out to be one of the crispiest and they were so buttery. I drizzled these apple pies with some caramel sauce and not only did they look divine, but definitely tasted so good. Give them a try and check them for yourselves :))
Prep time: 30Cook time: 15
- 1 plus 3/4 cup or 130 grams flour plus 2 tsp flour for sprinkling on kitchen slab (for pastry)
- 1 cup or 45-50 grams butter (in cubes)
- 3 tsp sour cream
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup apples (very fine cubes)
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 spoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg for brushing the pies
- Caramel sauce for drizzling
- Mix together flour and butter and crumble the cold butter cubes with the flour until a bread-crumb like consistency is prepared. It should be very grainy.
- Add the baking powder and mix it well with flour and butter. Add the sour cream and combine everything well to make the dough.
- Bring it together and place the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile prepare the filling by dicing the apples to very fine cubes and adding lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon to it.
- Preheat the oven before you start making the pies.
- On a flat surface or kitchen slab, sprinkle the extra flour and roll out the pastry into a rectangle shape.
- Make small circles (using a glass or cookie cutter) equivalent to giant ravioli or any size of your choice. You should be able to make at least 14 circles.
- Add the pie filling and cover it with another circle. Design it as you like and now whisk the egg and brush it over the pies for that gorgeous golden crust.
- Place them on the baking tray lined with butter paper and let this bake for at least 10-15 minutes on 200 degrees Celsius or until they are golden brown.