Rich, creamy, quick and easy authentic Indian shahi paneer (cottage cheese curry) recipe made with onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and simple Indian spices.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 medium sized onion or 80-85 grams (sliced)
- 1 tsp garlic (grated)
- 1/2 tsp ginger (grated)
- 5 medium sized tomatoes or 400 grams (roughly chopped in chunks)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup cream
- 200 grams paneer (cubed)
- To a wok/ kadhai, add oil and let heat for a few seconds on medium flame. Add sliced onions, garlic and ginger and let cook until lightly browned.
- Add cubed tomatoes and salt. Cover and let cook on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Take off the lid, lightly sauté the mixture pressing down the softened tomatoes with the back of the wooden spoon.
- Add garam masala, chilli powder and cover and cook for additional 5 minutes. (see note 1)
- Turn off the flame and add 1/2 cup of water. Let the mixture cool to room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water and puree again.
- Transfer the puree back to wok and cook for a couple of minutes on low flame for 3-4 minutes until it just begins to boil from the edges. Add honey and mix. Turn off the flame and add cream. Mix well.
- Add cubed paneer and mix gently. Serve with rice/ naan.
Note 1: It is very important to add garam masala right in the end and not with the other spices, as it tends to burn when added before and left for cooking.