Rich and creamy roasted red pepper pasta made using at-home whole-roasted sweet red peppers, charred and brown, mixed with onions, garlic and cream, tossed over al-dente pasta giving you wholesome and delicious pasta in 30 minutes!
- 2 cups pasta of your choice (measured before boiling)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large sized red bell peppers (red capsicum)
- 1 medium sized red onion (finely chopped)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/ 2 cup half & half (1/4 cup cream + 1/4 cup whole milk) or coconut milk (vegan option)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 230 degree Celsius. Line a baking sheet with aluminum (foil). Rub ½ tbsp olive oil on all sides of red bell peppers and place them on baking sheet and transfer to oven. Let roast for 25 minutes.
- While the red peppers are roasting, cook pasta as per package instructions. Reserve pasta water before draining (see notes)
- While the pasta is boiling, add remaining 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil to a pan and heat on medium flame. Add chopped onions and garlic to the hot oil and cook for a few minutes until soft, translucent and light brown. Keep aside for 5 minutes and let cool.
- Once the peppers are nicely roasted (they should look black, charred from the outside) transfer the baking sheet from the oven to kitchen counter to let cool for 4-5 minutes. You will notice the peppers to shrink a little and soften up.
- Peel off the charred skin and cut the peppers one by four. Discard the charred skin.
- To a blender, add peppers, cooked (and cooled) onions and garlic, half & half or coconut milk, salt. Mix until a smooth pasta/ creamy texture is formed.
- Add the sauce back to the pan and add oregano and chilli flakes. Add cooked pasta and mix well. Cook for about 1-2 minutes. Add some pasta water if needed (to loosen up the sauce)
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Pasta water (starchy water) – Since I enjoyed my pasta right away, I did not feel the need to add any pasta water as the sauce had wonderful consistency. If you like the sauce to be a little runny, add 1-4 cup of reserved pasta water to your creamy roasted red pepper pasta.
Keywords: pasta, vegetarian, recipe, main