Indo-Chinese style delicious chilli paneer (Indian cottage cheese): super crispy paneer cubes tossed in a spicy garlic sauce giving you a perfectly filling appetiser/ starter recipe for your next party.
For the crispy paneer
- oil (for deep frying)
- 250 grams paneer (cubed as 15g per cube)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour (maida)
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp soda water (sparkling water)
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic (chopped)
- 150 grams capsicum (cubed)
- 200 grams onions (cubed)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (like sriracha)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp spring onions (chopped)
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil and add chopped garlic, capsicum and onions to it. Sauté for a couple of minutes on medium heat until they are nicely cooked.
- Add the hot sauce, soy sauce, ketchup, honey, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together corn flour and water and pour the slurry over the sauce. Mix well and cook for about one minute on medium low heat until the sauce just begins to thicken. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying the paneer cubes.
- In a bowl, mix plain flour and rice flour. Add soda water, salt and pepper. Dip the paneer cubes in the batter. Take off the access and transfer to the hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown in colour.
- Add them to the sauce, heat on medium heat for just one minute and mix the paneer well with the sauce until every cube is nicely coated.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and green onions and serve hot.