Simple, easy and quick homemade caramelized onions step by step recipe that is so easy to follow and only requires four ingredients. Perfect addition to burgers, pizzas, quiches or mix with some mayo to make a yummy dip.
- 3 cups or 320 grams onions
- 1/4 cup of 4 tbsp or 57 grams butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup wine
- To a large pan, add cubed cold butter and let melt on medium low flame just for a few seconds, until it becomes soft (not liquid and not brown butter). Add onions, honey and salt. Mix well until all onions are nicely coated with honey butter mix.
- Let cook for about 7-8 minutes until all of that honey butter liquid is evaporated. The onions will begin to soften up. After about 10 minutes, you would notice the onions to change colour, get stickier and begin to pan fry/ stick to the pan. Add half of the wine at this point to deglaze.
- Let cook until all the wine has evaporated (roughly 5 minutes). Continue cooking without wine for 2 more minutes. It will start to stick to the pan again, add the remaining wine to deglaze completely and continue stirring the onions (roughly 4-5 minutes)
- At this point, the onions will have reduced completely, texture would be sticky and jammy and completely soft and caramelized. Serve over burgers, in sandwiches, mix with mayo and enjoy as a dip! YUM!