Who doesn’t love a classic hummus dip with some crackers and pita. We absolutely enjoy this easy recipe because its healthy, delicious and can be made in just about 15 minutes with the simplest ingredients. We also enjoy the flavoured versions of hummus – smoked paprika or beetroot etc but a classic hummus is number one for us!
Its so easy to make hummus at home – specially when all the ingredients are so simple and absolutely no prep is required, unless you don’t have Tahini at home. We made ours and stored in the fridge and it stays for more than 10 days at least! Tahini is basically a paste made of white sesame seeds. The process is really simple – you simple dry roast some white sesame seeds on a saucepan and keep stirring it on medium flame for about 4-5 minutes until the sesame seeds are golden brown in colour. Please make sure that you are constantly stirring the seeds because they can burn real quick! Now let this cool down for about 15 minutes and then all you need do is, blend the seeds with some water to make a smooth paste.
Hummus itself is super simple – just mix together chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and tahini and adjust the seasoning. We did not use canned chickpeas, rather soaked some overnight and boiled them before using them for the hummus.
There is also a video on your youtube channel, which will make it easier for you to learn this. Cick here and show us some love 😀
Here is the quick recipe for you guys. Hope you enjoy.
by Sheenam & Muskaan November – 12 – 2017
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds (toasted)
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp water (2 tbsp for tahini paste and 2 for hummus)
- Dry roast the sesame seeds and add to the blender once cooled down. Add some water and blend to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Add 2 cups of chickpeas to the blender and add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Blend and check for smoothness. Add some water if needed. Serve with carrots, crackers or pita bread.